Orivet Privacy Statement and Disclosure of Information
In order to use the Services, you also acknowledge and agree to this Privacy Statement. You may not use the Services if you do not accept the Privacy Statement. You can acknowledge and agree to the Privacy Statement by (1) clicking to accept or agree to the terms and conditions including the Privacy Statement, where this option is made available to you by Orivet for any Service; or by (2) actually using the Services.
You acknowledge and agree that Orivet has the right to monitor any use of its systems by its personnel at any time and maintain copies documenting such monitoring. Our Privacy Statement sets forth the only expectations of privacy any individual should have in terms of usage of the Orivet Services, website, or other systems. If you have given consent for your Genetic Information and Self-Reported Information to be used in Orivet Research as described in the applicable Consent Document, we may only include your information in the Aggregated Genetic Information and Self-Reported Information we disclose to third parties for the purpose of publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Orivet may also only include your information in Aggregated Genetic and Self-Reported Information disclosed to third-party non-profit and/or commercial research partners who will not publish that information in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Orivet Research may be sponsored by, conducted on behalf of, or in collaboration with third parties, such as non-profit foundations, academic institutions or pharmaceutical companies. Orivet Research may study a specific group or population, identify potential areas or targets for therapeutics development, conduct or support the development of drugs, diagnostics or devices to diagnose, predict or treat medical or other health conditions, work with public, private and/or non-profit entities on genetic research initiatives, or otherwise create, commercialize, and apply this new knowledge to improve health care.
Orivet will never release your individual-level Genetic Information and/or Self-Reported Information to any third party without asking for and receiving your explicit consent to do so, unless required by law.
Further, you acknowledge and agree that Orivet is free to preserve and disclose any and all Personal Information to law enforcement agencies or others if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process (such as a judicial proceeding, court order, or government inquiry) or obligations that Orivet may owe pursuant to ethical and other professional rules, laws, and regulations; (b) enforce the Orivet Terms and conditions; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Orivet, its employees, its users, its clients, and the public. In such event we will notify you through the contact information you have provided to us in advance, unless doing so would violate the law or a court order. You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Services, including your Personal Information, may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks, or devices. Finally, Orivet may, in its sole discretion, restrict access to the website for any reason.Please refer to our Privacy Statement to read about data protection related to your information. See our complete Privacy Statement below.
Information We Collect
Information you share directly with us
We collect and process your information when you place an order, create an account, register your Orivet kit, complete health surveys, post on our Forums or use other messaging features such as email and newsletters, and when you contact Customer Care. This information can generally be categorized as Registration Information, Self-Reported Information, and/or User Content as defined in our full Privacy Statement.
Information from our DNA testing services
With your consent, we extract your DNA from your saliva sample and analyze it to produce your Genetic Information (the As, Ts, Cs, and Gs at particular locations in your genome) in order to provide you with Orivet reports.
How We Use Information
We generally process Personal Information for the following reasons:
- To provide our Services. We process Personal Information in order to provide our Service, which includes processing payments, shipping kits to customers, creating customer accounts and authenticating logins, analyzing saliva samples and DNA, and delivering results and powering tools like DNA Relatives.
- To analyze and improve our Services. We constantly work to improve and provide new reports, tools, and Services. For example, we are constantly working to improve our ability to assign specific ancestries to your DNA segments and maximize the granularity of our results. We may also need to fix bugs or issues, analyze use of our website to improve the customer experience or assess our marketing campaigns.
- For Orivet Research, with your consent. Orivet researchers can only include your pet’s de-identified Genetic Information and Self-Reported Information in a large pool of aggregated data for analyses aimed at making scientific discoveries. Orivet may contact your to seek your permission for use of your pet’s individual samples and information to participate in a specific Research Project. By agreeing to the Individual Data Sharing Consent Document, or participating in a Orivet Research Community you can give consent for the use of your data for scientific research purposes. In any case your personal information such as name, address and contact details will never be shared without your express written permission.
- For Orivet Marketing. Orivet provides links and passes to third party sites. The use of your information by these third party sites is not within the control of Orivet and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of these companies.
Access To Your InformationYour Personal Information may be shared information in the following ways:
- With our service providers, including our genotyping laboratory, as necessary for them to provide their services to us.
- With research collaborators, only if you have given your explicit consent.
- We do not share customer data with any public databases.
- We will not provide any person’s or pet’s data to an insurance company or employer.
- We will not provide information to law enforcement or regulatory authorities unless required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for Personal Information.
How We Secure InformationOrivet implements measures and systems to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Orivet data.
- De-identification/Pseudonymization, encryption, and data segmentation. Registration Information is stripped from Sensitive Information, including genetic and phenotypic data. This data is then assigned a random ID so the person who provided the data cannot reasonably be identified. Orivet uses industry standard security measures to encrypt sensitive personal data both when it is stored (data-at-rest) and when it is being transmitted (data-in-flight). Additionally, data are segmented across logical database systems to further prevent re-identifiability.
- Limiting access to essential personnel. We limit access of information to authorized personnel, based on job function and role. Orivet access controls include multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, and a strict least-privileged authorization policy.
- Detecting threats and managing vulnerabilities. Orivet uses state of the art intrusion detection and prevention measures to stop any potential attacks against its networks. We have integrated continuous vulnerability scanning in our build pipeline and regularly engage third party security experts to conduct penetration tests.